Jobs (at) empirica
empirica communication and technology research is an independent research and consulting company with a strong international orientation. For 30 years we have been working for numerous clients in five business areas: Energy, Digital Skills & Work, Research & Innovation, Digital Health & Care, Inclusive Society.
Join us and you can expect to work on topical issues that connect the worlds of science, industry, and politics, in collaboration with policymakers and practitioners across Europe. Contribute your ideas and expertise as part of our interdisciplinary, international project teams, and benefit from a collaborative working and learning environment with flat organisational structures.
Junior Research Consultant / Analyst (m/w/d)
For our Smart Energy Department (full- or part-time) - Bonn
Your scope of responsibilities
empirica is about to start a large European research project to develop and deploy 100%-RES commercial solutions to existing buildings. As part of this project empirica guides partners across Europe in developing procurement specifications and evaluating submitted applications, developing, and implementing competitive solutions that meet partners’ needs. empirica is further involved in a large-scale smart grids’ initiative for the second stage of the energy transition on national level. Here we are responsible for networking activities.
Our energy department is growing, and you would support in managing current projects as well as develop and contribute to new project ideas on European and national level.
- Conduct desk research / occasional interviews, and structure and analyse the results
- Author deliverables independently and in co-creation (in text and graphics for public sector clients and partners)
- Assist in project management and partner communication (responsibility can grow quickly)
- Contribute to and develop actively new project ideas for Horizon Europe and other public and private clients, nationally and internationally
- Produce news items, social media posts and infographics
- Master's degree in engineering, economics or social science or comparable course of study
- Academic work and studies relating to smart energy / smart buildings and/or first experiences working in relevant fields
- Very good written and spoken language skills in English (command of German an asset)
- Excellent research and writing skills
- Ability to communicate and build long-term relationships with European partners
- Hands-on person, result-oriented and quality-driven and you have outstanding analytical and problem-solving skills and are eager to learn
- Team player with strong communication and presentation skills
- Full-time position, with an attractive and competitive salary package
- Outstanding work-life-balance with flexible working hours, home-office option, centrally located office
- Opportunity to quickly take responsibility in international projects
- An interesting job in a young international and interdisciplinary team
- State-of-the-art technical facilities (software, communication tools)
How to apply:
Interested candidates should submit their online application (cover letter, CV, degrees, income expectations and availability) by 30.12.2020 to the following address:
Georg Vogt, georg.vogt(at)empirica(dot)com
empirica offers internships and job opportunities for students from different disciplines, enabling them to gain job experience in European projects. This may be your first step towards a career in consulting and research. Several of our consultants started to work for empirica as a student and were hired when they had obtained their university degree. We offer the following positions for students.
a) Assistant in European projects
Students from various backgrounds, such as economics, social / political sciences, IT, geography and communication / media studies
- good command of the English language (in writing and communication)
- interest in ICT–related topics
- ideally: skills in statistics and/or other empirical methods
Internships should not be shorter than two months.
b) Assistant for the analysis and presentation of statistical data
Empirica is searching for student assistants from various disciplines like economy, sociology, geography, communication and media sciences, mathematics, informatics and others from universities and applied universities.
- high affinity towards data, in particular towards statistical datasets,
- first experiences with the methods of empirical social research and with the processing of datasets, as well as the willingness to quickly familiarise with new methods,
- confident interaction with the Microsoft Office Package,
- enthusiasm for the cooperation in international projects within future–oriented subjects.
Further reasonable requirements are
- experiences with the usage of professional statistics software (e.g. SPSS and Excel) or the willingness to quickly learn these,
- a good command of the English language, both written and verbal,
We offer the work in an open–minded, interdisciplinary team in the framework of European and international projects. Basically, the possibility to develop subjects for diploma thesis based on the project work exists. In cooperation with university tutors we offer extensive support during the preparation of such a thesis work.
Ideally the applicant is still at the beginning of his or her main courses or at the end of the basic courses to be available as student assistant for a longer period (at least one year). The more intensive he or she is engaged in the daily project work, the wider the area of tasks could be.
c) Assistant for webdesign and website maintenance
Basic requirements are
- HTML and CSS skills
- Experience in setting–up websites according to current W3C standards (HTML, CSS)
- Basic layouting / graphic design skills
- Ability to work independently on a management–by–objectives basis
Further to this we would welcome
- Experience with TYPO3 and/or Wordpress
- Experience with HTML5 and CSS3
- Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign skills
- Experience in the creation of accessible websites (according to W3C WCAG)
- Experience in server and network administration (Win Server 2016/2019 R2, Linux)
- References: own web projects, project work experience
We offer an interesting and varied working environment as well as good payment. empirica's team is open–minded, interdisciplinary and used to work in a high–profile ICT environment. Further to the technical side of the job (programming, website maintenance), we offer numerous opportunities to also engage in content–related project work on various issues. Whatever you do, there will be experienced colleagues near at hand to provide advice and help.
How to apply:
- To apply for a student job, please send us a statement of interest with a short CV and information about your studies, main examinations taken, skills in empirical methods, interests, IT skills.
- Applications for internships should be sent about 2–4 months before start of the internship.
Please send applications by e–mail to
Please understand that we cannot reply to unspecific requests for internships or jobs without any information about the applicant and his interest.