We support the design, implementation and evaluation of policies with a focus on research and innovation and digital transformation for regional, national and international public sector organisations, in the field of Energy and Green Economy e.g. for the European Commission (DG GROW, DG ENER, DG RTD, DG CNECT) and the German Federal Government (BMWK). Together with our large international partner network and with our clients, we support decision-makers to increase their capacity to innovate, to improve living and working conditions, and rebuild competitive economies for people and planet.
You will be working with the Smart Energy team, across a variety of subject areas to support the EU Commission, national and international clients in studies, impact assessments, and EU research and innovation actions in energy focused policies, programmes, and projects. Currently, we are leading innovation projects in making net-zero renovations market-ready and assist cities in deploying the Circular Economy. We continuously consult policy makers on energy-related questions and conduct cross-country analysis.
The successful candidate will be expected to contribute to the delivery of the team’s growing portfolio of research and innovation projects as well as impact assessments, including cost-benefit analysis, data collection, stakeholder consultation, management of innovation procurement, and managing client and partner networks.
The successful applicant will have strong quantitative and/or qualitative analytical skills, first experiences of delivering research projects, the ability to work effectively in multidisciplinary teams, excellent written and verbal communication skills.
We are looking for someone with at least 1-2 years’ relevant work experience, either in a consulting environment, academia or an equivalent role in a government department or related agency. We would like the candidates to understand the policy environment and have knowledge of German and/or EU policy related topics relevant to clean energy transition, energy efficiency, and innovation in green technologies.
More specifically, you must have:
- Academic background in a relevant subject at B.A. level or above
- Affinity with clean energy and climate change policy areas and knowledge of current developments in the field
- Ability to learn about new concepts and technologies and to apply your skill set creatively
- Highly computer literate (e.g. MS Office, statistics packages)
- Ability to write well and to a professional standard, in English – German would be a strong asset
- Self-motivation, intellectual curiosity and an ability to work independently and across different disciplines
- A willingness to travel and work in international teams.
Other desirable attributes:
- Ability to prioritise and multi-task, and work under strict deadlines
- Client relationship skills
- Excellent oral communication skills.
- Help to grow the Smart Energy practice
- Design and deliver high-quality analysis and apply methods of data collection and data analysis (qualitative and quantitative) of wider green policy assessments
- Prepare study reports, publications and contribute in proposals
- Support, organise and with time manage R&D workstreams and related events
- Ensure individual assignments are delivered to plan (insightful, high- quality and on time)
What we offer
- Competitive salary and performance-related bonus scheme, along with 30 holiday days each year. The company also offers tax-deductible company bikes and membership in fitness clubs
- Opportunity to work flexibly, including a mix of home and office-based working in downtown Bonn
- Challenging and varied projects conducted in a dynamic environment and working closely with European senior researchers and policy advisors in the European Commission and beyond
- Influence policy at EU-level and design solutions across Europe with thought leaders
- Learn to manage complex projects with a diverse range of stakeholders
- Opportunity to travel across Europe and internationally working for some of the world’s most important and influential public bodies
The position would be full time with the potential for some level of flexible working, to fit with family and other commitments. This will be a permanent position, following the successful completion of a 6-month probationary period.
How to apply
To apply, please send a copy of your CV together with a covering letter stating your salary expectations and explaining your interest in the specific job, how your skills and experience meet our requirements and why you believe you would be a good addition to the empirica team.
Please send your application to email@example.com.
Closing date for receipt of applications is 10 November 2022.